On Sunday we talked about how to move forward from the problems in our past. When we don’t deal with issues from our past, we carry them into the present and they rob our future. You can use the following questions to apply God’s word to your life this week:
- In Philippians 3:12-14, Paul says, “…I focus on this one thing, forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize…” How would you complete this statement for your life, “This one thing my life is most focused on is…”
- Read Ephesians 4:31-32. Who are you holding a grudge against? A former boyfriend or girlfriend? An ex-spouse? An employer? A parent? A brother or sister? A teacher? A pastor? Who do you need to offer forgiveness?
- Is there something in your past that you wish you could go back and change? Will you accept what happened and release your grief?
- Take an inventory of your life. What do you have now that God can use in your future? (examples: your life, your freedom, your education, your finances, your gifts and talents, a relationship, your church family)
- Are you carrying around baggage from sins in your past? How have you tried to pay for your own sin? Will you confess that sin to God and let Him remove it? Remember Psalm 103:12 says, “He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west.”